The Greater Portland Region offers beautiful vistas, succulent lobster, stately lighthouses, outdoor adventures, exceptional shopping, miles of unspoiled sand beaches, and a vibrant night life – everything you’ve come to expect from a Maine vacation, all within a 15-mile radius of the state’s largest metropolitan area.
Portland boasts the cultural attractions of a much larger city while retaining a friendly, small-town atmosphere. The brick and cobblestone streets of the Old Port are lined with artisans’ shops, galleries and boutiques, and fishermen still unload their catch on the working waterfront.
Whether you prefer the unique boutiques of the Old Port, or easy access to Maine’s largest Mall with National stores, or a trip to Freeport to enjoy Maine’s most famous outfitter L.L. Bean, the Greater Portland region has shopping opportunities for every taste.
Portland is home to spectator sports including hockey, baseball and basketball sports teams, a symphony orchestra, multiple theatre companies, and the Portland Museum of Art, one of the best art museums in New England.
The city has become a foodie destination with a wide range of culinary offerings, from the renowned lobster roll to fine dining. Maine chefs have earned accolades from James Beard to Maine Lobster Chef of the Year for innovative preparation of our fresh seafood, and locally procured produce. Harvest on the Harbor, Maine’s Premier Food and Wine Experience, is the Greater Portland Convention & Visitors Bureau’s toast to Maine’s culinary arts. This three day event brings together local creative chefs, locally grown and harvested foods, and the excellence of Maine products – a perfect opportunity to experience the flavors of Maine, all on the magnificent coast during the beautiful harvest season.
Perfect for a family getaway Portland offers children an exploratory experience at the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine and the Portland Observatory. Greater Portland is also home to four lighthouses, the most famous of these being the picturesque Portland Headlight and museum, commissioned in 1791 by George Washington.
Enjoy a day on Casco Bay visiting islands with the Casco Bay Ferries, relax on a traditional vintage schooner or windjammer, take a whale watch cruise or try hauling lobster in a real lobster boat – all from the center of downtown Portland.
- The Portland Museum of Art: Maine’s largest art museum, featuring Maine works by Homer, Wyeth and Hartley. (207) 775-6148
- The Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine : A state-of-the-art, hands-on educational facility. (207) 828-1234
- The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum: Discover the unique two-foot gauge trains that linked rural Maine to the rest of the world. (207) 828-0814
- The Victoria Mansion in Portland: A magnificent 1858-60 Victorian home with original furniture, carpets, chandeliers, paintings and wall decorations. (207) 772-4841
- The Wadsworth-Longfellow House (Portland): Childhood home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. (207) 774-1822
- The Maine Mall (South Portland): Features more than 135 stores, and the hub of many nearby stores, restaurants and theaters. (207) 774-0303
- Freeport USA: Picturesque historical village boasting over 200 retail shops and businesses. (207) 865-1212
Cruise Excursions on Casco Bay
- Portland Tours: A variety of day and sunset trips including deep-sea fishing, whale watching, educational, and scenic tours.
- Atlantic Adventures Deep Sea Fishing: Deep Sea fishing at its best! (207) 838-9902
- Casco Bay Lines: Year round narrated cruises, private charters and island commuter service. (207) 774-7571
- Lucky Catch Cruises: A chance to experience first hand how to catch a lobster. (207) 761-0941
- Maine Foodie Tours: TASTE your way through the charming Old Port with Portland’s newest culinary tour. (207) 233-7485
- Maine Sailing Adventures: Two-hour public and private Maine windjammer sail in Casco Bay. (207) 749-9169
- Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours: Narrated tours of the city and the bay. (207) 774-0808
- Portland Schooner Company: Step aboard one of two Maine-built classic wooden schooners for a tour of Casco Bay. (207) 766-2500
- Odyssey Whale Watch and Charters: Fully narrated whale watching aboard a 65 ft. custom-built boat. (207) 775-0727
- L.L. Bean Outdoor Discovery Schools: Unique outdoor experiences for all skill levels. (207) 552-3261
- Maine Island Kayak: Sea Kayak Casco Bay. (207) 766-2327
IN THE REGION
- FrostbiteME: A cultural, artistic and recreational event celebrating Maine’s GLBT community. March.
- Old Port Festival (Portland): Sidewalk sales, crafts, food booths, children’s activities, music & live entertainment. First Sunday in June.
- L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series (Freeport): Saturday evening performances in L.L. Bean’s Discovery Park. National acts and Maine’s hottest local talents. June – September.
- Yarmouth Clam Festival: Parade, races, entertainment, games, arts & crafts, and all the clams you can eat! July
- Portland’s Alive at Five Concerts: Thursday evening concerts from 5- 8pm in Portland’s Monument Square. July and August
- Harvest on the Harbor, Maine’s premier food and wine experience: A three-day celebration of local foods, exceptional wines from around the world, local beer and spirits, amazing chefs and presentations, and fun on Portland’s waterfront. October.
- Light up the Holidays: Downtown Portland is alive with joy-filled celebrations on its streets and many special events. End of November and December.
- Sparkle Weekend (Freeport): Parade, carolers, Santa, horse-drawn carriage rides. Early December.
For additional regional information, visit the region web site at www.VisitPortland.com
The Maine Camping Guide website and printed version of the Maine Camping Guide are products of the Maine Campground Owners Association (MECOA). MECOA represents over 190 of Maine's licensed campgrounds. The offices of MECOA are in Auburn Maine and you may contact us here.
MECOA accomplishes their mission by providing marketing, advocacy and educational tools to its members. MECOA has built this website for the convenience of the camping public and all of our members are represented here on this site as well as in the printed version of the guide which is available here in a digital format. MECOA marketing program for members is extensive.